About Jay D. Raxenberg
Not just any divorce attorney. Learn what makes Jay D. Raxenberg Long Islands choice for Divorce Law.
Long Island Divorce Lawyer
Divorce is a difficult decision to make, but with the help of a Long Island divorce attorney from The Law Offices of Jay D. Raxenberg, they can guide you through the complex procedures and help you in taking the necessary steps to accomplish this with the least amount of trouble possible. There are certain actions you should do and certain ones you should avoid.
- Consult with a reputable and compassionate divorce attorney.
- Make copies of all important relevant documents for at least the last three years of your marriage. This could include tax returns, bank statements, mortgage payments, and any other financially related paperwork such as pay stubs and stock certificates.
- Ensure you medical coverage continues despite possibly being removed from a spouse’s return.
- Take photos or videos of your home and its contents, to avoid contention regarding what property is part of the marital home.
- Do consider the tax consequences of a property settlement in divorce. The attorneys at the firm can help you with this.
- Do consider the best interests of your children when negotiating custody, visitation or support, as the court will have that as their main focus.
- Don’t avoid consulting an attorney, it can make all the difference in the outcome.
- Don’t speak badly about your spouse to your children. The court frowns heavily on this, as it is in your child’s best interests to maintain a healthy relationship with both parents.
- Don’t seek revenge as your goal in divorce.
- Don’t compare your divorce to someone else’s. They are all unique.
- Don’t use the same attorney as your spouse. The can cause a major conflict of interest in settling many issues.
- Don’t move out of your home without consulting with an attorney.
Important Points to Consider in Divorce
There are many other important points to consider, best reviewed with your attorney to avoid unpleasant consequences. The firm is dedicated to helping their clients get through the divorce process quickly and with the least amount of emotional upset as possible.
Contact the Law Offices Of Jay D. Raxenberg to find out more about the do’s and don’ts of divorce.