Refusal to Pay Child or Spousal Support

About Jay D. Raxenberg

Not just any divorce attorney. Learn what makes Jay D. Raxenberg Long Islands choice for Divorce Law.

Why Choose Us?

Find out what sets us apart and what you should be looking for when choosing a family law attorney.

Divorce Do's and Dont's

Find out what you should and shouldn't do during the divorce process.

Long Island Divorce Attorney

If your ex-spouse refuses to pay child support or spousal support which was ordered by the court, there are legal actions you can take to try to resolve the situation. There are several options which may be appropriate and these are usually taken in order of increasing severity if the issue persists. An experienced Long Island divorce lawyer can advise you as to your rights and help to determine the best course of legal action. In some cases, it may be enough for your ex-spouse to be informed that you are represented by an attorney and are considering legal action in order for compliance to be achieved.

Unfortunately, there are cases where further action must be taken but fortunately there are legal procedures in place to help with this. Income levies or income deduction orders are a common recourse and can apply to past, present and future child support payments due. These levies can reach up to 65% of the other party’s wages. There are further actions that can be taken as needed, such as income execution, court proceedings, lottery proceeds intercepts and tax refunds intercepts, amongst other options.

What do I do if my spouse refuses to pay?

The attorneys at the Law Offices of Jay D. Raxenberg are dedicated to seeing that you receive the support you deserve and that was promised to you per court order. They will attack your case energetically and make use of all the tools at their disposal as needed. It is important not to lose hope or despair over receiving your payments. Child support is due until your child is 21 or new orders are issued by the court. If it was ordered in the first place, the ability of your ex-spouse to pay would have been taken into account, and this obligation is not discharged by bankruptcy or ordinary circumstance.

Contact a Long Island divorce attorney for help with enforcement of child support or spousal support payments.

Posted in